Wednesday, October 9, 2013

#2 A Colour Poem for You

Learning Areas: the arts - creating and making, exploring and responding, interpersonal learning, English- speaking and listening, vocabulary extension, observation, visual communication
Materials: acrylic paint (suitable for 5 year olds), brushes, paint pots, newspaper (for protecting surfaces), old magazines with diverse high quality content (old national geographics, special interest hobby magazines), scissors suitable for 5 year olds, glue sticks
Healing the Heart, Albert - grade prep, Image Copyright 2013


This is my second session with preps and year ones. 
I ask the children to "turn on your artist eyes" - which means to become super observant of the kinds of details many people overlook. We begin by sitting in a circle. My current practice is to avoid using raised hands when asking the children to respond. We are all practicing the kind of co-operative, intuitive turn-taking that is expected out in the world. 

Tuning in: Our colour spectrum scroll 

I would love to see the collaborative work you made last week and see how it has changed since you worked on it between classes. 

We get out the mixed media colour spectrum scroll (from session#1 Art- What's that about?) and roll it out. 

Lets use our artist eyes and notice some things about this art-work.You might notice some things about lines, shapes, the shades of colour, the depth of colour, patterns, representational images (pictures of things you can recognise), what has happened to the paper, spaces that haven’t been filled...

The children do pretty well at not talking over one another. They share what they observe:

"I can see lots of scribbly lines" 
" I can see lots of red over there" 
" I did that bit - that's indigo and violet" 

Exploring: artists who use colour in their work

Today I’m going to share some artists with you who have made illustrations for books.  Sometimes artists use colours to convey an emotion - to make you feel a certain way or to let you know how the characters are feeling.  The colours can be grouped into two 'feeling groups' : cool colours and warm colour.
This book is called  Oh, No! George. I like it because it's funny. Lets see what you think. With your artist eyes turned on, tell me as we read, what you notice about how the artist has used colour. 

Copyright Walker Books, 2012. 
I read Oh, No! George and the children tell me what they see. They notice that the pages with George doing naughty things is warm or hot colours and the pages with Harris are cool. They also notice that on some pages the colour goes all the way to the edge of the page but on other pages it has a border.

We call this full bleed when the illustrator has decided to make the colour go all the way to the edge of the page. 

Shall we read another book? This one is called Where Does Thursday Go?

The children start to show that they are picking up new vocabularly quickly- telling me which pages are full bleed and telling me that the illustrator has mainly used cool colours. We talk a little about the feelings the colours create. 
Copyright Scholastic Books, 2002

"I think cool colours are a bit sad"
" I think Harris has cool colours because he is, like, a bit more sensible than George"
" George has lots of orange and purple" 

Exploring and Responding: A Colour Poem for You

In the week between lessons I have written a poem for the children about colours and the feelings they evoke and made an art-work to show them: a visual 'colour poem'. 

I am RED
Copyright Heather Marsh, 2013
I crackle and burn
I burst like fireworks
Sometimes I am sweet like strawberrys 
Or spicy like chillies
I wake you up with sirens
I am RED

I am ORANGE
I am the dusty soil of the desert
Or a citrus grin at the footy
I glow on birthday candles
& slow you down at traffic lights
I am ORANGE

I am YELLOW
I shake my shaggy lions mane
And lift my sunflower head to follow the light
I can make you screw your face up with lemoniness
Or melt on your tongue like button on toast
I am YELLOW

Copyright Heather Marsh, 2013
I am GREEN
I shoot,curl, sprout and grow
In leaves, buds and blades of grass
I’m a python wound around a tree
Sometimes I’m disgusting like snot
But also cool like dappled shade
I am GREEN

I am BLUE
I wash the sea and sky clean
And dress you every day for school
I’m a1st prize ribbon on sports day
And icy cold toes in winter
I am BLUE

I am INDIGO and VIOLET
The colours of royal robes and
Cadburys chocolate wrappers
I make purple irises sway like flags
I am the ink to use for a love poem
I am INDIGO AND VIOLET

Making: A paint and collage colour poem 

We are each going to make an artwork today that tells the viewer a story about colour.

I show my artwork (pictured above at beginning of poem)

The type of work we are going to make is a monochrome work. That means that I have used only one colour in my composition
We are going to begin by applying paint to part of the page, then we are going to layer drawings and cut out collage images to the work to produce a picture that evokes a mood and tells a story.

I ask the children to listen to all the instructions before choosing a place to work at one of the tables. There are sheets of mid weight white A3 paper laid out and the rest of the materials: paint, scissors, magazines, paper. 
I tell the children where each colour is located and that they will need to choose just one colour for this composition. 
I ask them to lay down their paint first and then layer their colour poem with images using collage or crayons. 

Take some time to look at the page and think about your composition.
Be aware of how much paint you apply to your surface. The paper can only absorb so much paint before it begins to warp or break down.
If you work across your paint your work will smudge. If you want to smudge that is ok – we can incorporate it into the artwork. If you don’t like smudges you will need work differently to not drag your arm across the page as you apply other media

Some of the students' colour poems are shown throughout this blog entry. I really noticed how individual each child's approach was. 

Image Copyright Heather Marsh, 2013


Reflection 

Lets talk about our work:
We are going to walk around the room and use our artist eyes to notice things about one another’s work. Remember to be respectful – at this point we are all experimenting so there is no need to criticise the work.

New Vocabulary monochrome, composition, collage, warm colours, cool colours, media, warp, full bleed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please respect the privacy of the children and their families by not posting names or the names of schools to this site.
Thanks,
Heather